Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Rollin' FX style

I finally got a chance to take my new Trek FX out on a real road ride. I set it up with my hottie Kysrium Mavic wheels, Thomson Stem and Seatpost (of course), and the part that makes it so dang comfortable and handle so well, the On One Mary Bars. I have a Mary at home, and one on my bike!For those of you who have not ridden the Colorado Nat. Monument, well, your missing out big time. The "Tour of the Moon" as it was called back in the 80's when people raced here, is a climb of about 2000 ft in the first 4 miles. Once on top it is a paved ride litteraly only a foot from 1000 ft cliffs.




I rode on top most of the way until I reached a gravel road that leaves the park. This road takes you higher and up to the tiny town of Glade Park. Since I was rollin FX style (not on a squirmy, ill-handling, neck hurting, scared of a pebble road bike) I took great joy in leaving the pavement and putting together a loop that most of the roadies never get a chance to do because they might scratch their BMW jewelery.


The gravel didn't last long and soon I was on a very high stretch of road I had never been on before.


It was about this time that I started to bonk. I hadn't eaten much for lunch so I was really looking forward to a stop at the Glad Park Store. Its not the Pioneer Store in Protem Missouri, but its not bad. Their prices are high and they made me spend at least 5 dollars or they wouldn't run my credit card.


Sitting at the store I decided I was whooped and that I would take the quick way down, but as I rolled closer to the turn off for Little Park Rd, I veered right and took the longer way with more twisty turns. As usual a headwind kept me from attaining warp speed, but it was still a fun descent. From my house up and back down it was about 4o miles. Next time I'm gonna put on cross tires and ride down the Ribbon instead. That would be the perfect FX style road ride!










2 comments:

Travis Van den Broeke said...

Dear Landon,
Road bikes are still gay. lol
From, Travis

JMo said...

Dude, that is AWESOME!

If there ever where an advertisement for the FX bikes you are it.

Jamie