Sunday, August 9, 2009

A different kind of Anniversary...

Last night I went out with my buddy's Brad and Keith. We climbed up Eagles Wing and down Holy Cross trail. Earlier in the day I had noticed that it was only 78 degrees at lunch time, so it was a rare day indeed for this desert. The evening was even better!


The day had been hard, we sold a lot of bikes, but felt hammered from being a "man down" in the shop. Keith stopped by at the end and asked me to go riding. I almost said no, because I was so burnt from the day, but I relented. I'm glad I did, because if I had looked at the calendar I would have realized that I had to ride! It was August 8th! I always ride on that day in celebration of overcoming injury.

Five years ago yesterday I felt a stinging pain in my lower back, and then fire down the sciatic nerve of my right leg. It was the start of the worst year of my life. A year that would leave me physically and mentally changed forever.


My girl is in the midst of her worst year. She's 10 months into it. She may not be able to open the milk carton for breakfast, or hold onto a handlebar, but she is so much stronger than I was. She just keeps on keepin on, knowing for a fact that it will be over sometime soon, always faithful that she too will ride again, just like she always told me that i would. She was right. She always is.

No comments: