Thursday, November 6, 2008

Trek Fall Demo Tour--MOAB!

Greg and I arrived Sunday to scout some new trails, but the rain had arived first. When it rains in Moab that means SlickRock Trail is where you go.




Thanks as usual goes out to Greg, who makes me look far better than I really am. Check out more of his photo work and adventures at http://www.bikeabout.net/

Monday started with a quick run up to SlickRock with the Wisconsin crew of Trek Engineers plus Jill the inside rep. I think all were impressed with the fairly above average views and riding they encountered. After the SlickRock demo a much bigger group of us headed out to Sovereign Trail to ride some sweet Moab singletrack. I really enjoyed the pace and vibe of the group.



Day two weather was looking rough, but as of morning there was only some high altitude clouds on the peaks of the mtns and plenty of wind. Not bad for November. The ride was Lower Porcupine Singletrack (LPS) to Pocupine Rim Trail. Most of us shuttled up to LPS while others road the whole loop and met us in the middle of the trail.




The girls on this trip weren't bashfull about letting everybody know how much fun they were having.


It was about here in this picture time line that Lee Jones took a digger. Larry and I cleaned him up and put him back on his bike. Lee was a great sport for letting us take pictures and finshed the ride like a champ. Everyone should leave Moab with something to remember the ride. Lee's happened to be stitches.












The wind was strong and the lead group was WAY fast. Its tough to be the guide and to barely be able to keep up. The lead group hammered me all the way until the singletrack with Semi Pro Joe (a former Moabite) leading the charge from there. The Porky Singletrack was in great shape following the rain, tacky and washed of sand on most of the rock. It's so awesome to be in a train down this trail with nearly 10 guys in line at full speed. I came into The Wash near the end and there at the bottom was my nemisis, the chest high wall on the other side. The wall that I had never cleaned, the only move that has left Porky uncleaned by me. But Tuesday the 4th was my day, election day and the day I finally truly cleaned The Wash. Not only that, Kyle, also on a Remedy, followed me right up it and we just kept on truckin. Thanks to all who rode and to all the Trek folks that made my bike a reality. It was my first run down Porky on my Remedy and no bike I have ridden has ever preformed so well. Porky is my measureing stick and the Remedy is hands down the best All-Mountain bike made. Viva La Remedy!




A lot of folks had to leave early on Wednesday, but a smaller group of us made it out for a chilly Amasaback ride. This is what you missed if you had to leave early.




It was just above this point on the trail that I got a little out of control on a high speed jump. I was way crooked in the air and doing an un-intentional superman seat grab, but the only grabbing was being done with my chest....on the seat! I heard a pop and skidded to a stop on the rock with the wind punched out of me and a serious pain in the ribs. I made my typical moan and groan sounds and painfully got up and finished the ride. A big thanks to the guys who held back on the pavement into town and paced me in. I needed the help.




Thanks to Tim Walsh and Greg Luck for helping me guide everybody. Thanks to Dax and Josh for bringing out so many Trek and Gary Fisher bikes for everyone to try. Big thanks to Larry and Garby, the Colorado and Utah Trek Reps for putting on the event and keeping us fed and having fun. A big YEEEHAAAA for next year! Ouch, that hurts my ribs!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awesome photos. Culd ya email me a zip file of them all to: stevenup (at) gmail (dot) com

Thanks dude! How are those ribs feeling?