Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Grand Mesa Moto Epic




















How epic can a ride be when you got an engine? Well, if you let me read the map there is a good possiblity that the day can run long. After installing (welding) passenger footpegs to my moto frame Mary and I headed off for the high country of Grand Mesa. It was quite warm when we started so we decided to only wear long sleeve jerseys and to forgo our jackets. Hello? At 10,000 ft, even in the sun its chilly! Mary, being smarter than me, had worn two jerseys and since I was catching all the wind she let me wear one of hers undernieth mine. Kind of tight?














The problem with riding double on really techinical trails is that you can't stand up, so your butt and back take all the abuse. We were wearing out by the time we reached the "blue" trail on the map that meant "jeep road." The "jeep road" was going to be an easy cruise back to the truck right? Well of course not, it was harder than the trail we had been on with nasty rocky climbs and one seat deep creek crossing. It was exhausting and the sun was getting low in the sky and my summer gloves were letting my hands get cold.

























It was about this time that we met some hunters who waved us down. There 73 yr old friend had been missing since 10 am and they were wondering if we had seen him. It was only a few hours from dark. I hope they found Jack, if not and if not ever, then I hope I get to expire in a place as awesome as the remote country of Grand Mesa. Jack, I hope your sipping on some hot coffe back at camp laughing at your buddies for getting so worried.




















We found the truck after about 60 miles, we sampled Colbrans little "Chillin Cafe" and headed for home tired, and well fed. So pretty much it was just another normal weekday for Mary and I.
























No comments: